Monday, May 5, 2014

Moviegoing

Image from imgur
I just found this meme, and I thought it was both funny and applicable to this blog :)

I think this serves as an example to illustrate a larger point about planning ahead, and having the self-control to say 'no' to products or services that you see as a poor value. With all the stuff that's available in this world, all the different manufacturers offering products, companies offering services, charities, and other organizations each trying to get some of your money, it's up to you to be a smart and discriminating shopper. 


Speaking of poor values, if you're going to go to a movie theater to watch a movie, it should be a rare treat. When I go to movies, I sometimes can't hear what characters are saying because of helicopters or explosions or dramatic music. Or all three. I sometimes end up stiff-necked afterwards, and of course there are sometimes people around me talking so that I can't hear what's going on. In fact, people sometimes stand up (to go to the bathroom or whatever) in the middle of a good part, and I get distracted from the movie. And if I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the movie, they sure won't pause it for my benefit!

And for all of these...'advantages'...I have the privilege of paying $10 of my own hard-earned money?! 

Not surprisingly, then, I almost never darken the door of a movie theater. I can count on both hands the number of movies I've seen in theaters in my life! (As a sidenote: The Avengers was one of them; I've made plans with a friend to see the sequel, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, in theaters. I did this ONLY because I'm certain that I'll enjoy it, and because I'm a grad student with the flexibility in my schedule to attend a matinee for $5). I'm also not worried about missing parts, because I plan to see it multiple times, as I have done with most of my favorite movies. 

From my perspective, it's totally worth owning the movie, because I don't have to worry about listening to other people's unwanted commentary, or seeing them come between me and the screen. I can sit in whatever position is comfortable for me. I can rewind if I don't catch what somebody said, and I can pause if I have to go to the bathroom. 

To come full circle back to the picture at the beginning of this post, another benefit of watching movies at home is that snacks in my apartment (or a friend's apartment) certainly don't cost exorbitant amounts of money, like $6.00 for a bowl of popcorn. I can get a box of popcorn from the dollar store--for a dollar! And there are three different bags of popcorn inside!

So, this is another example of frugal living that reveals the mindset that I advocate: living well for less. I don't see the latest movies right away, but if I'm interested, I do see them. And I do so on my terms, for relatively less money!

Here's what I'm talking about: instead of rushing out to theaters when Iron Man was released (it's one of my all-time favorite movies...I think I'm showing my nerdy allegiance to Marvel in this post!) and spending $10 to see it once, I own a digital copy that I must have watched half a dozen times. At $15 for an e-copy that I can now view whenever I want, that works out to a lot less $ per view than seeing it in the theater!

I've mentioned matinees and buying movies as ways to save. How do you get around paying big bucks in the theater? Leave a comment with your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment